Thursday, October 18, 2007

What’s In A Name

I got some great ideas on titles yesterday – so thanks everyone for helping out. I came up with a town name: Savior Falls which I’m currently using for my working title, although that will likely change while I play around with my whole redemption / atonement theme and come up with something better.

The reason I picked Savior Falls was I like the play on words it creates. The hero comes to town and because of certain circumstances, arrives with the ability to save the heroine. But our hero is also a bit of a broken man (I love damaging my people), a fallen hero if you will, so the Savior Falls works on a few levels. And what the heck, I’ll throw in a waterfall too.

And I’ve changed my hero’s name. I had Noah originally, but it just wasn’t fitting right. It needed to have a harder sound to it, so I went with Caleb Beckett.

Now all that’s left is to figure out where these crazy kids live in the wild, wild west. The heroine has a ranch and some prime grazing land, so I need an area that caters to this. I was thinking New Mexico, California, Arizona, Nevada. I’m not sure the terrain of these places though, other than California to some degree. I know the other three are a dryer climate in some parts, but not sure if that covers the whole state. This would be much easier if I was slapping my people down in Calgary or something, but it just doesn’t feel the same.

Maybe sometime in the next week when I get a free moment I can jump on wikipedia and do a little geographical research.

And speaking of names – my brother and SIL will have to come up with a boy’s name since the ultrasound revealed they will be delivering me another nephew on or about March 8th of next year. Hmm...you know Kelly has a nice ring to it...

Hahahaha...okay I was just typing in Savior Falls and realized if you say it quickly it sounds like Save Yer Balls! Hehehehe...oh now I have the giggles...

9 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

I love that name! I think it will work perfect for your story.

Rene said...

"Save Yer Balls??"

I totally lost track of my comment. First the picture of Christian Bale then that. I think any one of those states will work and are pretty easy to research. I'd skip California, for some reason books about my state don't get published too often.

BTW, I love the name Kelly for a boy (nice for a girl too).

Lexi said...

Oh! I forced myself to work last night and NOT blog-hop and now I find out I've missed so much! You're the 3rd person who had stuff to tell and I'm "behind the 8 ball" with news. That settles it. I'll just have to blog hop every day!

And I have to admit I had a bit of a giggle with "Save yer balls" too! ow immature are we? Of course, I spent part of y teaching talking to my kids about pooping and picking your nose.

Anonymous said...

I like the name of the town and the hero's new name as well! :)

Amy Ruttan said...

Hi Kelley! Ya I've seen you around too.

Savior Falls is a great name for a town, definitely an Old West Feel to it.

Of course I said it really fast and got the same result, and now I'm laughing like crazy.

Keep up the writing.

Dixie Belle said...

Savior Falls is excellent!!! Love the name and the story idea.

Julie S said...

Love the town name! Even though I'm still snickering from the Save Yer Balls reference...that's too awesome. You'll have to use that in the book. Well, maybe not...

Congrats on the future nephew!

MJFredrick said...

My current hero is Noah. Fits him, though.

I still don't have a working title.... ;)

Anonymous said...

Caleb is good. Makes me think rugged and virile and yes, definitely western.

Saviour Falls is a great name. Totally fits.

Save Yer Balls? Well, you could take your story in a totally different direction with that title!