Thursday, March 23, 2006

Incoherent Ramblings of a Madwoman

I wrote five pages this morning, three of which I will probably turf. It was one of those scenes where I started rambling and by the end of it completely forgot what the heck my point was or where I was supposed to be going with it. I know I need a transition scene, but I can't just have my characters meandering about with no purpose, and yet that's what I ended up with. Not a good thing considering I can't afford to be wasting pages given that I only have 70 left in which to wrap this whole thing up. Granted, I know I'm probably going to end up about 50 pages over my count (really, who am I kidding thinking I'll bring the page count in where it should be in the first draft...) but still, meandering scenes annoy me, especially when I write them.

On the plus side, I think I'm slowly getting my head wrapped around my presentation on revisions for my chapter's April meeting. It is starting to come together in some type of semi-coherent structure that I think I can work with. I am determined to finish it this weekend even if I have to chain myself to the computer.

And one day left before the GH calls go out...not that I'm counting...or thinking about it at all...not even a little...

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I've done that. I usually end up cutting the scenes, too. Hope you get some good ones out of it. Good luck tomorrow!

Peggy said...

LOL, my characters discussions have often gotten out of hand too. Or my narrative blabbering. I have to stop, sit back and remind myself where I was going with this. Usually, they (characters) have an agenda all their own and know before I that they needed that discussion. If it's something I've already explained and just repeating myself, I can delete it.

Melissa Marsh said...

Oh, I hate meandering scenes, too. You get so frustrated after you write them because you KNOW you were meandering!

Nikki said...

I do that lots - even if I journal the scene ahead of time. Some times my head is just not there ...

Good luck today Kelly!