Monday, November 07, 2011

When Chocolate Goes Bad

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once. ~ John Archibald
Wheeler, The American Journal of Physics, 1978

I would totally disagree with Mr. Wheeler on that point. I'm pretty sure everything has been happening at once around here because I've spent the last month scrambling like a madwoman trying to get it all done. Don't ask me how I'm doing on that...

One thing I have been successful at, however, is eating about 10 lbs of chocolate a day. I'd like to blame it on Halloween, but I actually started the process about a week previous...okay, maybe two. Either way, by the time the kids showed up at the door trick or treating, I was in a full blown milk chocolate addictive meltdown. By the way, did you know chocolate can irritate the bejesus out of heartburn. I do. Now.

Needless to say, I am on a no chocolate hiatus. Just to add insult to injury, I'm also cutting out my one cup of coffee a day and adding 7 days of workouts to my schedule. Some days are just walking, which the dog will appreciate, but there's about 3 days of strength-training and 3 days of internal training and another 3 days of 30 min moderate/high cardio. Which, for those of you who are good at the whole math thing, equals more days than there are in a week, but I'm doubling up. And hoping to do a spin class and yoga class on top of that. I've noticed a softness creeping up where muscle used to be. Then I heard on the radio a week after my wedding that marriage makes people gain weight. I considered an annulment, but I kinda like this guy I married so figured maybe working out was a better option.

On top of that, I need to develop a solid marketing plan for my writing to boost my profile, sales, etc, as well as a workable writing plan for maximum output of manuscripts over the next 18 months.

All on no coffee and minimal amounts of chocolate.

Please have the rubber room standing by...
This is me exploring the gardens on Petrin Hill in Prague. I'm still trying to get my pixs up on Facebook.

Which reminds me...stay tuned on Facebook. Next week I'm looking at doing a book giveaway and visit to a blog where they're asking me lots of fun questions.

14 comments:

Renee Pace said...

You are one evil woman - lol. I have no idea how you can accomplish all that but you certainly inspire me to get my butt moving once I'm out of this cast. Great blog.

Jennie Marsland said...

Coffee and chocolate withdrawal at the same time? Note to self: do not annoy this woman.

Prague looks breathtaking. good luck with the knitting and the writing and everything else. Echo and Chance say hello to Cedar.

Unknown said...

I'm tired reading that. And on the workouts - I have one question. Why for #%$ sake?

Unknown said...

I need a sticker that says that.

Shawna R. said...

"considered an annulment" bwahahahahaaaa!!!

Patricia Preston said...

I could never give up chocolate!

Kelly Boyce said...

Anne, it's the gushy belly that drove me to it. I just feels...unnatural!!

Julianne MacLean said...

Wow - you are brave and determined! Keep us posted about how it goes - especially all the workouts!

I feel that winter weight gain coming on myself... Just got back from the grocery story and they had a giant display of Quality Street. Thanks, Sobeys. I really need to see that.

Tess said...

coffee and chocolate gone at the same time? Are you insane, woman??? But I figure if anyone can do it, you can :)

Tara MacQueen said...

I reduced my coffee intake from my undergrad business degree from six cups a day (including lattes) to one morning breakfast.
However, since I've been back from my vacation I used the excuse that I had laryngitis to guzzle it during the day.
Good luck and I'll be giving you a wide berth because chocolate withdrawal can be bad. ;)

Donna Alward said...

Jeebus, Kelly, I don't want to cross you at the best of times. I'll be giving you a wide berth. GOod luck at the potluck in few weeks. I'm bringing the deadly choc chip cheeseball.

I can't wait to see all your pics. :-) And you accomplish a heck of a lot for someone who also works a day job. Don't forget to be kind to yourself now and again.

Julianne - I tried the Lindt choc with caramel and sea salt the other day. I still prefer the straight dark with sea salt one. And I probably shouldn't be talking about this on Kelly's blog...

Melissa Amateis said...

Going without chocolate? I would go nuts. Seriously.

Can't wait to see pics, though!

Unknown said...

You and your workouts are making me feel inadequate. We have 90 chocolate bars to give out on Hallowe'en and only 8 kids (one of which was mine) so you do the math...let's just say I'm walking my dog and hiking 5 days a week.

Try good dark chocolate. It makes up for a bunch of the semi-sweet stuff, and it's extra good for you too - medicinal:)

bathtub restoration manhattan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.