I came thisclose to saying yes to getting a golden retriever puppy in mid January. You see, the breeder of my dreams has a new litter, and while this litter is all reserved, I called to get myself added to the reserve list for the next litter in 2009. But by some fluke it turned out there was one female left because a potential family had a change of heart. I spoke with the breeder, she asked me questions, etc and in the end said if I wanted it, the pup could be mine.
Did I want it?
That’s like asking me if I’m partial to filling my lungs with air.
But the timing was all wrong. It meant getting the puppy in mid January, well before the BF and I were under the same roof. And, for anyone who has ever entered the crazy days of puppydom, you know once that little critter lands on your doorstep you are a bit housebound while they become acclimated and housetrained and a million other things. Which meant the BF and I would see each other only on the occasion when he ventured over to my abode, as his apartment does not allow dogs.
I hemmed and hawed. I wanted the puppy sooooo bad. The BF said if I wanted it we would make it work. But the facts were what they were. And there was also the financial consideration. Pure breeds do not come cheap, and even though the BF said he would get the puppy for me as a gift, there was still the additional cost of food, shots, puppy classes and spaying to consider within the next few months. Costs I hadn’t budgeted for and wasn’t sure I could manage while still paying all the living expenses myself.
So I did what any Capricorn would do in this situation. I made a list. Pros and cons. The Con list was all the practical reasons listed above. The Pro list read something like this: puppy puppy puppy puppy puuuuuuuppppppyyyyyy!!!
And not just any puppy. But THE puppy from THE breeder that I really, really, really wanted.
I mulled. I considered. I rationalized to the best of my ability. But in the end it came down to the same thing – I couldn’t give the puppy what it needed right now. Four months from now – no problem. But not right now.
Sigh…I hate when logic rears its ugly head.
So sadly I called the breeder and gave them my decision and asked to be put on the reserve list for the next litter. Which it turns out is due January 29th as they did two breedings with two of their females. On the downside, the litter is already reserved by others. So basically I’m number 8, putting me on the reserve reserve list. My only hope is that three other families change their mind and I can slip into the #5 position.
And that’s my Christmas wish.