Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Lake House

Every now and then a movie comes along that restores your faith in humanity.

I was down in the dumps yesterday, just a combination of a bunch of things that resulted in a deep blue funk that had plagued me most of the day. Okay, most of the week. Anyway, my Mom called and wanted to go see The Break-Up. I'm not a huge Jennifer Aniston fan, but Cole Hauser is in the movie so I considered it, but I just wasn't in the mood to watch a couple slam each other for two hours. I talked Mom into The Lake House instead. I needed a good love story to cheer me up. I was not disappointed.

This movie is one of the best I've seen in a long time. It seems most love stories these days are told in a romantic comedy, but this was the first one that has come along in a while that just told it straight out, in such a new and interesting and magical way that you were drawn in immediately and held that way until the very end, wondering if it would all work out in the end and not sure if it could, but pretty sure that even if it didn't the ride had definitely been worth it.

I left the theatre already calculating how many times I could see it again with the spending money I had left, and realized I hoped it came out on DVD soon, because I couldn't wait to make the purchase.

My blue funk had evaporated, I came to a few conclusions about some things that had been bugging me, and my step was a little lighter as I made my way back to the car.

In the end, Mom was glad we made the switch in movie choices. I was too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom saw it too. Loved it.

Tess said...

Is it the one with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves? Hmm, may have to see it. Though up here on the Coast, we don't get many movies - just the really big ones. Which is why I HAVE seen X3.

Glad TLH helped lift your blue funk :-)

Bailey Stewart said...

Yeah there's a blue funk going around.

I want to see this movie, but of course with mom I'll just have to wait until it comes out on DVD. I do get to the occasional movie but I like to save that for things that MUST be seen on the big-screen like X3.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you said that about the movie, I've been wanting to see it. I like Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves in movies; they look like they work well together.

Melissa Amateis said...

I'm so glad you like it. I want to see it, too, but will probably wait until it comes out on DVD.

Julie S said...

What a great review. I'll have to move this one up on my list!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, sounds like a movie I'd enjoy. Of course, I'm dying to see the new Pirates movie. :)