Monday, May 15, 2006

New Books, Creative Accounting & Season Ending Chaos

I went for my usual coffee run on Sunday night with Maxx (who desperately needs to update her blog FYI) and after finishing my chai tea we took a peruse around Chapters. Our first stop is the discount book rack where I find most of my best research books. And yesterday I hit the motherload.

Country Houses of Britain & Ireland by Tom Quinn and The English Village by Leigh Driver. I took two seconds to flip through the books, gathered them into my arms and refused to let go despite my brain telling me I really couldn't afford them because I had already spent my discretionary funds on a new pair of pants and skirt.

But these books were sooooo good. And so currently necessary for what I'm writing. And for about a hundred other reasons I could have found to justify the purchase. I would juggle the funds. Do a little creative accounting. Sell a kidney. Whatever. The books were mine.

After writing this morning, I took a few minutes to start flipping through the first one on Country Houses and by page 5 I knew my purchase was justified. I don't know yet exactly what will need to be juggled to make up for the extra $48...but I'll find it somewhere.

Meanwhile - did anyone see Grey's Anatomy last night?? Holy crap! It's a good thing part 2 is tonight because I don't think I could wait a whole week to see the end of this season. All I could think of was Nikki sitting at home in front of the tv going ballistic. Hopefully she's recovered, now that she has that new job to start and everything.

7 comments:

Peggy said...

I'm jealous. I wish there was a Chapters nearby. I have to drive an hour's commute for the closest. The books sound terrific and better even because you found them on the clearance table. Perfect.

christine said...

Grey's Anatomy was a nail biter! Can hardly wait for tonight. What an amazing show!!

Melissa Marsh said...

I LOVE finding great research books. Don't feel guilty for buying them!

Michelle said...

I spent $100 on a two-volume set on medieval Ireland. Worth every penny. If it's the right source, go for it!

Rene said...

You gotta quit putting these awesome books on your blog! It is a little too steep for my pockets right now.

MaryF said...

I looooovvvved Grey's Anatomy last night!!! Loved Izzy. Loved Alex comforting her. Sobbed till my throat was raw.

Nikki said...

Oh my God!!! Grey's Anatomy killed me!!!!!!!

I'm glad Izzie's gone though ... girl was driving me crazy!!!