Monday, February 27, 2006

Another Four Year Wait


Well, the Winter Olympics have come to a close. I always feel a little sad at the end. As big a sports fan as I am, I'm still not one to really sit in front of the television and watch a game. I'd rather be out there playing it, or see it live. But when the Olympics are on, you'd be hard pressed to drag me away from the tube. I've always been like this since I was a little kid. I think it's the Olympic spirit. It sucks me in every time, and this time was no different. In fact, this time I think I got more caught up than I ever have since the Calgary Games back in '88.

In the end, Canada ended up with 24 medals (most of those won by women I might add). There were many favorite moments for me but the one that surprised me most was curling--a game I had never been able to figure out.

But Friday they set the television up in our boardroom so we could watch the Newfoundland team with Brad Gushue and the boys take on the Finns for a gold medal. I figured, hey, it's time away from my desk so I'll check it out. It took me three seconds to get hooked. And of course, it had nothing to do with the game and everything to do with the fact that Brad Gushue bears a striking resemblance to a younger Christian Bale. Although, in the end, I finally figured out the gist of curling and realized it was a game of precision and strategy that really intrigued me. I ended up getting really into it and totally changed my opinion on the sport. See what a little eye candy can do for you?

And the moment after the game even had me tearing up. Brad is dialing his cell phone to call his mom back home who couldn't come to the games because she was recovering from cancer treatment. His first call doesn't get through and he looks into the camera that is following him, points to his phone and goes, "Mom, pick up the phone!" He managed to get through on the next call, then got all choked up when the reporter from the CBC interviewed him a moment afterwards. You just wanted to go through the television and give the guy a big hug.

And I swear the fact that he reminded me of CB had nothing to do with it.


Really.

I'm willing to hug all hot guys regardless of who they look like.

2 comments:

Tess said...

ROTFL. Hadn't noticed Brad's resemblance to CB till you mentioned it. I was out at the actual winning moment, but was kept up to date on what was happening from store clerks.

My fave moment was actually Joannie Rochette's skate - WOW! She held it together and delivered a beautiful performance. As did Mira Leung (who should've finished higher than 12th, IMHO).

Also enjoyed the women's gold in hockey :-)

Of course, in 2010, we may not be so thrilled, though hopefully up on the coast we won't be as affected as those in Vancouver itself.

Melissa Amateis said...

I didn't watch any of the winter olympics. I rather missed it. But we don't watch anything but movies at our house (well, the kids mostly watch them). I kind of missed it - I love to watch downhill skiing.