Friday, December 02, 2005

The Gift Grab

So we've been informed we're to have fun at work today between 12 pm and 2 pm (I love how they can schedule that). Apparently at 2 pm the fun must come to a screeching halt and all the cogs must return to their respective wheels, but for those two hours we have been given leave to dance around like a bunch of drunken Christmas elves as we decorate the tree, eat pizza and take part in a gift grab. The gift grab was my idea. It seemed a more fun way to go than the whole Secret Santa route, especially when you have an office filled with as many competitive people as mine. Of course, there was the pressure of buying the gift. We could only spend between $10 - $15 and I had to come up with something good. God forbid I bring the only gift no one wanted to grab! Oh the horror... I think I got something good though. I bought some nice ornaments for the tree - generic, something everyone can use and hey, if you don't like them, they make a lovely re-gift. Nothing says Merry Ho Ho like the gift that keeps on giving.

In writing news: Desire & Brimstone is coming along great. I have my first chapter done and almost ready to post to my critique group. I just remembered before I can do that I have a brief prologue to write that sets up the sisterhood. That prologue will show up in each of the books, but be rewritten from each character's different POV each time. The biggest challenge I had so far though was trying to figure out just where Brimstone Manor was going to be located. I needed a cliff and I wanted the place to have a bit of a desolate beauty to it, but not too desolate. For now I've settled on Cumberland County where its near the Irish Sea, but I may change that later.

5 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

We're having a White Elephant game here at the office. Big sigh...just give me a bag of Hershey's Kisses and I'm fine.

Hope you get something good!

Anonymous said...

We don't do anything like that as we're not a big business. Supposedly, the logic is that we're a small enough company that everyone feels happy & welcomed so that motivations like in-office holiday celebrations, or Casual Days or Summer Hours, aren't necessary.

Either that, or the Grinch has taken over. *shrug* I decorate my desk no matter what...

Let us know whatcha get, Kelly!

Kelly Boyce said...

The gift grab was a rousing success - talk about madness. It deserves a post all its own so I'll save that one for Monday. Let it just be said, that my evil brain stayed three steps ahead of the rest of the crowd so I got what I wanted.

Maxx said...

Mr. T says "I pity da fool that takes mah gift! I want the one wit da pink bow! Arrrrr!"

Anonymous said...

Wine always makes a good $10-15 gift. :)