Saturday, October 15, 2005

Oh the Inhumanity...

Batman comes out on DVD this Tuesday. I got paid on Friday. You would think this would be cause for celebration given my Christian Bale fetish, but alas, less than 24 hours after the pay cheque arrived I am down to $0.73 in my account and $10 in my pocket. Between the mortgage and car insurance and all the other stupid bills (okay maybe I'm the stupid person for wracking them up, but whatever!) there is nothing left. More and more the conference in Atlanta this July is looking like a pipe dream. Right now, keeping my head...well at least my nose...above water is becoming a chore in itself.

I watched Oprah the other day with Anderson Cooper and their report on the poor people in America and found myself identifying with a lot of what these people were saying. I'm not as bad off as a lot of them, at least I have running water, a decent roof over my head and a car in my driveway, but the fact that I'm one missed pay cheque away from losing all that and joining their group is a little frightening.

And yet, the one thing that bothered me the most over the lack of fundage? Was it the fact that my diet for the next two weeks will consist of bagels and tomato soup? Or that if the $30 worth of gas I put in my car runs out before next pay I'm totally screwed? Or even the idea that if any emergencies come up I can't cover them? Oh no. What had me crying in my imaginary latte (because I couldn't afford an actual latte) was the fact that Batman is coming out on DVD and I don't have the @#$% money to buy it!!

It's entirely possible my priorities are really screwed up.

1 comment:

Melissa Amateis said...

My husband told me to make SURE I went and bought Batman on Tuesday. Oh, drool, drool! Now I can lust over the gorgeous Christian in the privacy of my own home. ;-)