Monday, October 31, 2005

All Hallows Eve

I used to love Halloween when I was a kid, but now I seem to dread the day every year. As much as I like to see the kids all decked out in their costumes, the idea of spending scads of money I don't have on candy I don't get to eat myself isn't a big thrill. Especially when you get these kids coming to the door that turn their nose up if you don't (1) give them the amount they feel is their just due; and/or (2) don't have the kind of candy they want. And really people, is it that much of a killer to open your mouth and utter a 'thank you'?

It seems more and more I'm seeing these kids, even the younger ones, showing up at the door, copping an attitude that just makes me want to punt them back down the stairs. And my stairs are rather steep. It would be a nasty fall. They really shouldn't be courting my wrath.

But then you get the other kids all wide eyed and exuberant that are just thrilled to be out there and couldn't care less what you throw in their bag. They're just happy to be there. Those are the ones that make me decide to do it for another year instead of hiding in my basement with the lights off pretending no one is home. I actually did that one year. Sshh...don't tell anyone.

Besides, I have to keep the light on until my nephew arrives now. This year I have absolutely no idea what he's dressing up as, but with the superhero obsession he's going through I'm guessing it may be something in that vein. Perhaps the Hulk, or Spiderman, or Batman. Although if he wants to do his auntie a big, humungous favor, he'd show up at the door with Mr. Bale dressed in his Batman costume.

Yeah, yeah, I know...Halloween is for the kids, not the grown ups...sigh...

11 comments:

Maxx said...

WHAT?! Halloween is for everyone! We just found out yesterday that in Ireland, Halloween IS a national holiday! And my daughter said Mommy! Can we move to Ireland?!

You just wait til next year honey bunches of oats. I'll get you in the spirit if it kills you... although that would certainly add to the ambiance... hmmmm...

Kelly Boyce said...

HA! Yeah you can hang my corpse out on the front step. That'll be sure to scare the kiddies away.

Tess said...

Kelly - I know what you mean. So many kids expect soooo much these days and rarely utter thank you. BUT there are still a lot who are excited and remember to be polite :-) It's the teenagers with the pillowcases for bags that bug me the most.

Let us know what your nephew dressed as!!

Maxx said...

If you scare the crap out of them they aren't even paying attention to what you put in the bag. Trust me on this.

Anonymous said...

Hanging a string of Living Dead Doll lights at the door is a good distraction too.

Or coming to the door dressed as a 5'3" Care Bear... wanna borrow my costume, Kelly? *G*

Kelly Boyce said...

Do I strike you as someone you'd want to see in a Care Bear costume?

Melissa Amateis said...

I'm toying with the idea of hiding out in my house and having a quiet evening. My hubby is taking the kids trick or treating, so I think I could get a TON of writing done tonight. Hmmm.....

Anonymous said...

Well, it IS a Grumpy Bear costume...

Kelly Boyce said...

Still...I just don't look good in pastel colors.

Kelly Boyce said...

I was knitting while I was waiting at the door and one kid asked me what I was doing, so I told him I was poking every 8th kid in the eye with one of the needles. I told him he was lucky though because he was only number six.

Maxx said...

oh dear god

*hangs head and sighs*