Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Things To Do Before I Die

I was watching television the other week when one of the characters in a show or movie (I was flicking and not terribly involved in paying attention to what I actually landed on) mentioned they could cross something off their list. When the other character asked what list he was talking about, he mentioned he had a list of things he wanted to accomplish before he died. He read a few things off, most were crazy, never-gonna-happen type things and his friend told him so. But, the first character insisted, if I don’t write them down and think about doing them, then they’ll definitely never get done. At least this way, I stand a chance, because I’ve put the thought in my head.

That was about all I watched before I flicked again, but for some reason the scene stuck in my head and I thought – you know, that’s not a bad idea. And well, I think we’ve already established how much I like my lists. So I gave it some thought and decided to make my own Top Ten. I could probably come up with a lot more than that, but I think 10 is a good round number to start with, so here goes:

1. Travel the world. I want to set foot in every country in the world at least once before I make the leap to the other side. Except for maybe Tokyo. It seems awfully crowded and I prefer a little room to maneuver.

2. Fall in love – I’ve missed the boat on this one so far and I sure would like to manage it before I become all old and wrinkly, because quite frankly, I don’t want to see myself naked when I’m all saggy and wrinkly and while so far I’ve done a pretty good job of fighting gravity, let’s face it – eventually I’m going to lose the battle. And I’d like to fall in love before that happens. Yes, I am vain. And yes, even after I fall in love, I still plan to beat back gravity with my 15 lb weights and treadmill for as long as is humanly possible.

3. Become a world renowned author – finally something on the list that’s at least halfway under my control…

4. Learn to speak Gaelic and Russian. I suppose I could pick French or Spanish, a language that has letters matching my own alphabet, but for some reason I am drawn to the other two.

5. Get my black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I’m halfway there with my green belt, but I want that black so bad I can taste it.

6. Become a ninja. Well what else am I supposed to do with the black belt?

7. Make at least one of my books into a movie. Oh, and I want complete control over casting as well. In fact, why don’t I just produce the thing? Hell, maybe I’ll produce them all. Lochbriar Productions…I like the sound of that.

8. Find a cure for cancer. I realize I don’t have a medical degree…or a science degree…okay fine, I don’t have any degree, but as a kid I used to sit in the bathroom mixing up concoctions of different shampoos and after shaves convinced if I just hit on the right combination I could find a cure for cancer, and I still contend it’s the desire to do something that wins the battle.

9. Learn how to travel through time. I’m still not giving up on this. I’m convinced NASA has a time machine and they’re just keeping it secret. When I’m a ninja, maybe I’ll sneak into their top secret facilities and have a look around. Who’s with me?

10. Save the world – What can I say, I have a superhero complex.

9 comments:

Melissa Marsh said...

I want to travel the world, as well, but there are definitely some spots I really have no desire to go. Mainly, those that are really really HOT. *grin*

Veeba said...

You've inspired me to make my own list. Good luck on yours..you are very ambitious.

Nikki said...

Okay, now this is weird. The next ms I'm working on with the FD in 30 book is about a girl with a list just like this! Well, not exactly like it .. but a list nonetheless.

I need to actually do the items on my list - that's my problem. I can make the list, but completing it is another thing altogether.

Although writing is definitely on it! :)

chiocciola said...

HEy i love lists too. i think it totaly does help u actually do things, mine are things i wana do b4 im thirty. That way i get to cross them off soooner and move on to the next load of decades. BTW i think ur pretty good at writing.

Lori said...

Hey Kelly,

When you become a ninja, look me up. I could bring my snipering skills, we could get matching black suits and start some kind of kick ass duo!

Erin said...

Hey! Where's "Take over the world" on that list?????

I am SO disappointed...

Kelly said...

Erin! Don't give away my secret master plan of total world domination. I thought that was implied with 'save the world'. Code talk, ya know. Geesh, some evil sidekick you're going to make if you can't read between the lines.

Erin said...

Y'know, I suspected that there was more to 'save' than meets the eye. I just needed confirmation. Don't forget, sidekicks are around for the purpose of screwing up the original plans so that the evil genius (aka "you") is forced to come up with a better plan, a more ... evil ... plan.

Speaking of which, I'm not evil, I'm demented.

ces said...

can i please be in your movie? it was always one of my dreams to be an actress. i sort of derailed and took the groupie route instead, but maybe you can help me out!!

and i already believe in time travel. we'll talk.

;)