I was watching television the other week when one of the characters in a show or movie (I was flicking and not terribly involved in paying attention to what I actually landed on) mentioned they could cross something off their list. When the other character asked what list he was talking about, he mentioned he had a list of things he wanted to accomplish before he died. He read a few things off, most were crazy, never-gonna-happen type things and his friend told him so. But, the first character insisted, if I don’t write them down and think about doing them, then they’ll definitely never get done. At least this way, I stand a chance, because I’ve put the thought in my head.
That was about all I watched before I flicked again, but for some reason the scene stuck in my head and I thought – you know, that’s not a bad idea. And well, I think we’ve already established how much I like my lists. So I gave it some thought and decided to make my own Top Ten. I could probably come up with a lot more than that, but I think 10 is a good round number to start with, so here goes:
1. Travel the world. I want to set foot in every country in the world at least once before I make the leap to the other side. Except for maybe Tokyo. It seems awfully crowded and I prefer a little room to maneuver.
2. Fall in love – I’ve missed the boat on this one so far and I sure would like to manage it before I become all old and wrinkly, because quite frankly, I don’t want to see myself naked when I’m all saggy and wrinkly and while so far I’ve done a pretty good job of fighting gravity, let’s face it – eventually I’m going to lose the battle. And I’d like to fall in love before that happens. Yes, I am vain. And yes, even after I fall in love, I still plan to beat back gravity with my 15 lb weights and treadmill for as long as is humanly possible.
3. Become a world renowned author – finally something on the list that’s at least halfway under my control…
4. Learn to speak Gaelic and Russian. I suppose I could pick French or Spanish, a language that has letters matching my own alphabet, but for some reason I am drawn to the other two.
5. Get my black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I’m halfway there with my green belt, but I want that black so bad I can taste it.
6. Become a ninja. Well what else am I supposed to do with the black belt?
7. Make at least one of my books into a movie. Oh, and I want complete control over casting as well. In fact, why don’t I just produce the thing? Hell, maybe I’ll produce them all. Lochbriar Productions…I like the sound of that.
8. Find a cure for cancer. I realize I don’t have a medical degree…or a science degree…okay fine, I don’t have any degree, but as a kid I used to sit in the bathroom mixing up concoctions of different shampoos and after shaves convinced if I just hit on the right combination I could find a cure for cancer, and I still contend it’s the desire to do something that wins the battle.
9. Learn how to travel through time. I’m still not giving up on this. I’m convinced NASA has a time machine and they’re just keeping it secret. When I’m a ninja, maybe I’ll sneak into their top secret facilities and have a look around. Who’s with me?
10. Save the world – What can I say, I have a superhero complex.