Friday, July 22, 2011

Counting the Days

A vacation is what you take when you can no longer take what you've been taking. ~ Earl Wilson

By this time next week, I will be on vacation. I cannot tell you how much I have been waiting for this. Not because we're doing anything super-exciting. We're spending the week at a cottage in PEI, which sounds nice, but after about 3-4 days I'm generally looking for something to do and starting to crawl the walls. And that's if the weather's good. It would be better if the cottage we rented had comfortable furniture I could hunker down in and read to my heart's content. But after 30 minutes in any of them and I'm in need of chiropractic care.

Why not pick another cottage? Well, this one was 'inherited' I guess you could say. My fiance and his ex-wife would come here every summer with their son for two weeks. Now the two weeks is split, we get it one week, she the other and the boy stays down for the entire two.

After the crippling effects of the furniture and my inability to get through more than one book in the week, I suggested maybe we consider going elsewhere next year. Somewhere closer to home even where we could take the dog. He gets stuck in the kennel now because we take one car and between the boy with his booster seat, food, toys, suitcases, etc, there's no room for a big, goofy golden retriever. And to be honest, I want my pooch with me, but taking two cars all the way to PEI just doesn't make financial sense. But if it were only an hour's drive away on the Nova Scotian coast, that I could do.

Anyway, this year I'm taking my lawn chair with me which will help a little. Better than the plastic jobbies they have on the deck. It has a footrest and cup holder and if I use a pillow at my back I might get a couple hours reading time in before I need to jump on the yoga mat and start doing some back bends.

So if anyone has some great summer reads to recommend, let me know! I have a week to decide what I'm taking with me.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cottage on the water sounds like heaven. Have you read TELL NO ONE by Harlen Cobin? Anything by him is good if you like Mystery/thriller.

MJFredrick said...

Two really good RS books I've read this year are TR Ragan's Abducted and Trish Milburn's Dangerous Kisses. I also love Shannon Stacey's Kowalski books. Have fun!