Friday, October 08, 2010

Blissfully Happy Vacation

"A vacation is having nothing to do and all day to do it in." ~ Robert Orben

I am just one day away from vacation and I can’t wait. This weekend is Thanksgiving in my neck of the woods (we Canadians celebrate the holiday in October) which would make this a long weekend for me, but I decided to stretch it out and take the whole week.

It’ll be a busy one. J and I will be heading out for a night at the Blomidon Inn where we make the annual trek for Thanksgiving, returning in time to have turkey dinner with the folks. The weather sounds great for the weekend too, so bonus!

Then on Tuesday I have my photoshoot scheduled with Heather Gionet from This is Photography. She did Lilly Cain’s photos and that’s how I got her name. I can’t wait. We’re taking the photos at Kings College to take advantage of some of the historical architecture in the city. So far the weather is looking good for that too. I’m excited about getting this done. I had tried to do it a little over a year ago but timing and finances never cooperated. But now with THE OUTLAW BRIDE coming out in April, it’s time. I’ll give you the rundown on how it went in next week’s post.

The rest of next week will be spent revising AN INVITATION TO SCANDAL, trying to get as much of the 2nd draft completed before NaNoWriMo starts. I’m tearing apart scenes and reconstructing them in a different order to try and tighten up the story. I should hear about where I placed in the Lone Star contest the weekend of Oct 16th, provided I have cell phone reception.

You see the weekend of Oct 15-17 is my RWA Chapter’s annual Writer’s Retreat at White Point Beach. I start looking forward to this event the day I return home from it. It is a highlight of my year and is always a huge blast. There are 8 of us staying at the cottage this year where food, wine and creativity abound. I’m hoping to brainstorm ideas for Book 3 in the Brides of Fatal Bluff series while I’m there.

And that is what’s in store for the upcoming week. Now, if this week would just END so I can GET THERE I’d be all set.

9 comments:

Deborah Hale said...

I thought that looked like the Blomidon Inn! Hubby and I used to go there for our anniversary each year and to see a play at the Atlantic Theatre Festival.

Sounds like you have a fun-filled fortnight (how's that for alliteration?) coming up. Have a blast!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend, Kelly. And a very busy writing month - as usual. Hope you find lots of inspiration at the Retreat.

Anonymous said...

Have a great vacation and Happy Thanksgiving!!! :)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Wow - the photographer's site is fantastic! Hope your photoshoot is glam, baby.

'I start looking forward to this event the day I return home from it.' - Me, too!!! Can't wait! Can't stop using exclamation points!

Jennie Marsland said...

I love the Blomidon Inn. My parents had their fiftieth anniversary celebration there. Enjoy! And I'm counting the days til the retreat too!

Melissa Amateis said...

It sounds wonderful - a whole week off! Bliss...

Stella MacLean said...

I love the Blomidon Inn! It is so lovely.
What a great way to spend Thanksgiving.
May I ask if you're writing during your week off, or are you just going to veg and enjoy life?

Kelly Boyce said...

There should be plenty of writing. I need to get Invitation's 2nd draft revised and I want to work on the outline for The Widow Bride to ready it for NaNo. So lots to do!

Tess said...

Sounds like a busy but fun holiday! Hope your getaway at the Inn was just lovely and that the weather holds for the photo shoot :)

Happy Thanksgiving!