Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Early Summer Movie Review

I kept telling myself I should do a blog entry this week, but I’m coming up dry on ideas. Lately it seems everything I’ve been doing writing-wise is more of the same: revisions. Thankfully there is a bright light shining at the end of that tunnel, but if I have to blog about my revisions one more time, I ran the risk of boring myself to death.

So instead, let’s branch out a bit. I’ve been doing a lot of movie-going of late. Naturally, I’m still waiting on pins and needles for The Dark Knight to open, but in the meantime I’ve kept busy with the following:

Kung Fu Panda: Seriously, any movie that can come up with the word “Ski-DUSH!” I’m going to go see. Plus I really like Jack Black. So this one was an easy sell and yet still managed to keep me thoroughly entertained. I loved it. Great for kids and adults alike.

The Happening: It ain't happening. The thing about this movie is, it had potential. It really did. But the acting was so horrendously bad, and the dialogue simply atrocious, that there was no saving it. Even Mark Wahlberg who is normally a good actor was bad. And not just bad, but BAD. BAAAAAAD. And don’t even get me started on the Zooey whoever that played his wife. She spent the entire movie with this stunned/surprised expression on her face that you kept hoping would get wiped off by some foreign object. Like a flame thrower or something like that.

Wanted: Again, being a big Angelina Jolie and James McAvoy fan, this one was an easy sell. Throw in Morgan Freeman and it’s a done deal. But, when I went into the theatre I expected to sit down and be entertained. What I didn’t expect was to have my socks knocked off. No easy feat considering I wasn’t actually wearing any. This movie not only had a great premise matched with over the top action that never felt over the top because it fit seamlessly with what was going on, but the character arc of James McAvoy’s character was worth the price of admission alone. Afterwards, I reviewed the movie in my head on the way home clicking off all the part’s of the hero’s journey. This movie had twists, turns and kept you on the edge of your seat while making you cheer on the main characters. I’d go see this movie again in a heartbeat.

Indiana Jones & The Mystery of the Crystal Skull: I’ve been waiting 20 years for this movie and it didn’t disappoint. While some people didn’t like the ending, I thought it fit perfectly with what the story was about, and with the true mystery around the crystal skulls. Plus it was nice to see the franchise branch out a bit and try something new rather than just re-hash the same old thing. They didn’t fudge on the time passing either. Both Indy and Marion had aged and there was a brief homage to the passing of Indy’s father and friend, Marcus. I think this was a fitting end to a beloved character who will likely go down in the annals of moviedom as one of the best.

So there you have it. My recent movie-going review. Next up: The Dark Knight, Mamma Mia, Traitor, and more.

Now if I could only put the same kind of dent in my TBR pile and my knitting projects I’d be really happy.

12 comments:

Rene said...

I almost never go to the movies. We get the pay stations from our satellite dish and there aren't too many movies I can't wait for. I saw Indy and I'll go see the "X-Files" movie. Probably after that will be a drought until "Quantum of Solace." Oh yeah, I did want to see "Mamma Mia."

Tess said...

I too can hardly wait for TDK!!! But from what I've seen of the previews, it's no wonder poor Heath was so disturbed by his role. Wow!

We're also looking forward to Hell Boy II and the X-Files.

I'd love to see Mamma Mia as well, but will have to find someone OTHER than Sean to see it with me *g*. Like many men his age, he's not exactly an ABBA fan - LOL!

Unknown said...

Movie going is my absolute favorite thing to do, and I agree with your assessment of Kung Fu Panda, Wanted and Indiana Jones. I haven't seen the Happening and probably won't after your review.

I would also like to recommend Wall-E and Kit Kittridge: An American Girl.

My daughter is going to spend some time with her auntie next week and I intend to see Hancock, Hellboy II, Get Smart, and Sex in the City if it's still around.

I can't wait for the Dark Knight, the new Mummy movie and have you seen the previews for the next 007 flick. Yikes.

Annette Gallant said...

I haven't been to a movie for ages. The last one was the Rolling Stones documentary at the IMAX, which was pretty good, but I wished there had been more old footage.

Would like to see Mamma Mia. Saw the play when it was in TO and loved it. Even my hubby enjoyed it, despite not being an ABBA fan.

Watched the trailer for the new James Bond movie the other day -- four times! Can't think of the last time I was so excited about a movie coming out.

Unknown said...

Haven's been to any of those movies. Don't know why I can't seem to find the time..

Kelly Boyce said...

Daniel Craig has another movie coming out too based on a true story called Defiance and it looks sooooo good. Here's the quickie synopsis: Three Jewish brothers (Craig, Schreiber and Bell) escape from Nazi-occupied Poland into the Belarussian forest, where they join Russian resistance fighters and endeavor to build a village in order to protect themselves and others in danger. It doesn't open til Dec but I can't wait.

Melissa Amateis said...

I am so glad you liked Kung Fu Panda! I can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

And I really want to see WANTED, too.

Melissa Amateis said...

And OF COURSE I can't wait to see the new 007 film, Quantum of Solace. The trailer looks amazing. And so does Daniel Craig.

Dixie Belle said...

You know, I love the photo!! I hope to see Dark Knight next weekend. That is going to be my summer treat. I also would like to see the X-Files movie. Thanks for the reviews! I didn't know much about Wanted but it sounds like a terrific movie.

Amy Ruttan said...

I hardly ever go to the movies.

*sigh*

I do want to see Indiana, and I'll see Mamma Mia (because frankly the musical rocked and I was not disappointed with the movie version of the Phantom).

It's sad how little I actually get out.

Trisha said...

What did you think of The Dark Knight? I loved it but one part I didn't get. Not to give too much away, why didn't he save the girl?
I thought that was where he was headed. Was there something I missed? Check out a comment from a guy on my blog. Now I understand where he got his idea.
I did think Heath Ledger was terrific!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

LOL on your 'Happening' review!! And of course, if you ever wanted to go see 'Wanted' again...

I'm hoping tonight's the night for Batman.