Monday, July 16, 2007

The Real Life Version of a Disney Cartoon

I swear if you were to visit my camp you would know what I'm talking about. The yard is fairly littered with bird and chipmunk feeders, so it's no surprise when you walk outside the yard is covered with scampering squirrels, chipmunks with their cheeks puffed full of seeds, and birds of every color you can imagine. And just to add to the effect, as your standing there in awe of all the wildlife, blue jays swoop in and out of your vision and you're just waiting for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs to come traipsing down the lane.

I kid you not. I told my mom if I started singing 'Some Day My Prince Will Come' she had my permission to go dunk me in the brook.

But just so you don't think Chip & Dale are the only critters mucking about Maple Glen (yes, the camp has a name), I was stopped on my way by a deer. That's right. Bambi, halted my car in its tracks blocking the lane. I honked the horn. Twice. But no, Bambi just stood there looking at me. I had to roll down my window and yell at him to get out of the way before he budged. Then about five minutes later I get stopped again. This time by a plodding pheasant that seemed to think my full bladder had all the time in the world for him to take his sweet time getting to the other side. And don't even get me started on the muskrat...

And in case you're wondering, yes, I saw Thumper too. Thankfully however, Flower did not put in an appearance. I've posted some pixs below to give you an idea of the paradise known as Maple Glen.

Meanwhile, amidst communing with the locals, I managed to read a few books and I got Book 2 to my series completely outlined. So it was a very productive vacation. I didn't want to go back to work, but alas, the mortgage still needs to be paid.

And on the pooch front - I am reconsidering my choice for future pups and expanding somewhat to also consider beagles and mixed breeds. Although in truth, I still wish Coop would suddenly reappear, but since things like that only happen in Stephen King novels and rarely end well, I'm just going to have to accept the hand fate has dealt and hope I get at least half as lucky the next time. In truth, looking forward to getting a new pup later in the year makes me feel a bit better, but I'm also glad I have the waiting time to get over Coop as well, so I'm not expecting the new little pup to fill the large pawprints Coop left behind.











9 comments:

Lexi said...

Looks VERY relaxing!

Melissa Amateis said...

I am so jealous. I would LOVE to have a getaway like that. It looks so peaceful and calm.

I'm glad you got a lot of stuff done. Good for you!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful place! That's where I need to go for a while. There's too much going on in my life these days.

Anonymous said...

I love your camp! It's so peaceful looking.

Unknown said...

It looks so peaceful. Not crazy about all those critters though.

I have woods to the side and back of my house. I went out early yesterday morning and surprised a rabbit in my front yard. It was cute watching it hop away. Also saw something with a long black tail head into the woods (shudder) And there's a notice on the mail boxes next door about bears in the area and what to do if you find one in your yard - not so cute.

Tess said...

Lovely pics. What a wonderful retreat. LOL re the wild life - we encounter that here too. With Sean it's usually a bear who won't move - and he's on the motorcycle!!

As for waiting, yeah. A good idea. Even though I was desperate for more cats, I spent the first few days after we adopted C&C missing George even more and wanting him back. Looking forward to seeing pics when you finally do take that big step :)

Julie S said...

WOW. Looks idyllic. Glad to hear it was relaxing, beautiful AND productive!

LOL on the Stephen King reference.

Welcome back!

Dixie Belle said...

It looks so peaceful. I'd love to live there.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

What a gorgeous shot of the sun streaming through the trees. I'm with Julie S. with the Stephen King remark! I love your beagley beagley picture, too.