Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Run, Forest, Run!

The deed is done. I, along with my co-worker and cohort, Jane, have registered for the Running Room’s Learn to Run Clinic. It runs (haha, no pun intended) from April 7th to June 20th, finishing just in time for the Johnny Miles Marathon, which coincidently takes place in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia -- my hometown.

The Bluenose Race takes place on May 20th here in Halifax and I am going to sign up to run the 5K in it. If I do a little pre-training before the clinic starts I should be ready to run a 5K by May 20th. My hope is to run the 10K for the Johnny Miles and then, on the prompting of my friend Christine, maybe attempt a half-marathon by October.

Apparently I have completely lost my mind.

Funny. I don’t miss it at all.

Crazy as it sounds, the idea of physically pushing myself beyond where I’ve been (not to mention competing) gets my blood pumping big time. Running is one of my favorite things, even though most of the running I’ve done up to this point has been sprinting and not distance. But distance is something I’ve always longed to do. I kept telling myself someday. Then I hit 40 and realized, hey, time’s a-wasting! And to be honest, somehow the idea of doing this after I hit the 40 year mark feels like even more of an achievement than if I had done it 10 or more years ago.

10 comments:

Maxx said...

You're the only person I know who would train... for a 'training' clinic

Unknown said...

Good luck with it! I love the idea of running, but there's no way I can work it into my schedule. So I have to stick to exercise DVDs that I can do with my kids. :)

Kelly Boyce said...

Maxx - I know, it's sad how competitive I am...but hey, if it whips my butt into shape, who am I to change it!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Probably the increased blood flow to the brain will make you even smarterest. So running is actually a tool for writing!

Unknown said...

Great time of year for running. I see lots of people running in the dead cold or the heat but I couldn't do it. Give me an air climate controlled gym.

Tess said...

It's a great achievement, that's for sure :-) No time like the present! Have fun.

Rene said...

I wish I could get some of your physical ambition to rub off on me. I can't seem to get my butt in gear.

Bailey Stewart said...

Oh, I can get my butt in gear, it's the feet that won't let it go anywhere. LOL

Good luck. It's nice to face and achieve our goals.

Julie S said...

I am in awe of you now.

Melissa Amateis said...

I hate running. I love the thought of it when I see lots of people running on a nice, sunny day. But then I also see a lot of people running on freezing cold mornings nad I really start to be thankful that I DON'T like to run. LOL