Wednesday, November 22, 2006

The Gift That Keeps On Giving

I had planned to buy myself an Alpha Smart for my 40th birthday in January, figuring it was a big milestone and I should celebrate with something nice. I'd coveted the Alphie for a while and thought that would be a nice way to go. But since I won the Alphie a couple months back, I've been wracking my brain for something new to replace it.

Then yesterday I did up a writing schedule for Finding Home. I like to have target dates because, well I'm a Capricorn and I like my schedules. Keeps me on track. I figured if I pushed it I could do 35 pages a week. And if I did, that would bring me to...I flipped through my calendar, counting off the weeks. My finger landed on January 18th. My birthday.

Hmm...I thought about that. I had considered buying myself something different. Something unusual. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of finishing the first draft of my manuscript on my birthday. The more that seemed like a gift I gave myself. Staying on track, keeping my focus, finishing the job.

So that's it, I decided. It isn't a new toy or a new wardrobe. In fact, outside of the paper its printed on, it won't cost me a thing (of which my bank account thanks me). But it means more to me than either of those things. I know in the end I'll appreciate finishing my first draft far more than I will a new pair of pants or a swing by FutureShop.


Although if someone also wanted to wrap me up an agent, I wouldn't mind that either.

3 comments:

Tess said...

Sounds like a great way to celebrate your 40th to me :-) After all, we writers know there are few better feelings than writing the last word of an ms!!

Lexi said...

Wow, that's a plan! Good luck and stay motivated. Don't worry. We'll help.

Anonymous said...

That's a perfect birthday present. Personally, I'd also accept Apollo from Battlestar Galatica. Yummy...