Monday, August 21, 2006

The Journey

Now that I have finished the BIAW with 12,250 words under my belt, my next task is taking the first 25 pages and fixing them up to send off to the editor coming to pay us a visit in October. As well, I need to present a 5 page synopsis to go with it. Which we all know as the bane of my existence. This time, I'm going to try to use The Hero's Journey as a template to stay focused on the important aspects of the story...a story I only have 2/3 outlined and am not sure how it ends. Right. Better get on that.

Anyway, that's what I spent this morning doing. Printing off my 25 pages, digging through my RWR issues and old educational session notes trying to find articles on this. I considered shanghaiing Deb Hale because she does this session so well and it always makes sense to me after I hear her explain it, but I'm sure her family would have something to say if I suddenly spirited her in the dead of night, and quite frankly, I'd hate to do anything that interrupted her writing and put off getting her next book out because, well quite frankly I want to read it. See how it's always about me in the end?

Luckily, I managed to find some of my notes for Deb's last session of The Lovers' Journey, and the April 06 RWR had an article on the Hero's Journey. And there is the session from Reno that Kathryn Smith gave on CD. With all that, I should be able to refresh my memory and make a go of it. So off I go...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love having to write a concise description of something that does not yet exist. No wonder my hands shake and I've developed a haunted expression.

Tess said...

And Deb is an expert on short synopses too - I thought of her name, and next thing, I see you've written it *g*. And Kathryn's session in Reno was great :-)

Good luck with that synopsis. Those five-pagers are the bane of my existence too.

Melissa Amateis said...

You'll do just fine. Just hunker down, get the words out, and then go back and edit later. :-)

Rene said...

You did so well on that BIAW, truly inspirational. I'm sure you will be more than ready for October.

Shelli Stevens said...

I took a class on GMC and The Hero's Journey. Good stuff. Congrats on completing a BIAW! I've never been brave enough to try!

Tempest Knight said...

Congrats on sticking to the BIAW and ending it with 12K words! *wg*