Friday, July 28, 2006

Brain-fried & Updates

First off - go check out Miss Make A Movie's blog for news on the documentary!

Now...back to our regularly scheduled program.

I am mentally toasted. My brain has been put on the dark setting and left to burn. I've been revising for the past three days, removing old scenes, writing new ones, fixing the ones that were to stay, rearranging everything. I'm nearing the end and I'm going to keep at it Saturday and Sunday as well. I may need a vacation to recover from my vacation. I feel totally spaced out. Speaking of space, my avatar has decided to channel her inner Han Solo.

I spent the first few days at the camp, worked on the outline for one of my contemporaries and read a couple of books:

Ain't She Sweet by Susan Elizabeth Phillips: Got this one in Reno last year when she did her speech and loved it. Very good, great character growth in it.

Hot Stuff by Elaine Fox: Picked this one up on a whim at the library and very glad I did. Fun, romantic comedy. I have another of hers to read now.

Then I hit a bit of a snag. Tried to read Susan Crandall's Back Roads. It started off strong but then the pace slowed to a crawl and it got really repetitive with the hero's secret to the point I just didn't care anymore and ended up putting the book aside. Then I picked up Match Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I love her writing style but I couldn't get past the setting in the sports world. The hero is a sports agent and every time I would start getting into the story, the sports world would rear its ugly head and toss me out of it. I made it to chapter four and put it aside too. Then I tried The Last Chance Café by Linda Lael Miller. I love her historicals and this one showed promise but again...it just wasn't strong enough to grab me and pull me in. Sigh...that one hit the return to library pile too.

However, I still have one Jennifer Crusie book left, and the Elaine Fox one waiting to be read. I also picked up Perfect Stranger by Anne Gracie and Lady of Sin by Madeline Hunter, and Much Ado In The Moonlight by Lynn Kurland just came in. Plus the last installment of the Wallflower series by Lisa Kleypas is in the bookstores now.

Watched a bunch of movies too, too many to mention, although avoid Just Friends. Even my love of Ryan Reynolds couldn't save that movie. Although Stay with Ewan McGregor and Ryan Gossling is definitely worth checking out. It is a weird movie, but don't let that throw you. Just go with it, you'll be glad you did. Although I still don't know why Ewan was wearing flood pants through the whole thing...

And best news of all this week - Simon Baker returns to the CBS Fall schedule with a new show called Smith. Ah yes, my prayers have been answered. Weekly doses of Simon. What more could a girl ask for?

6 comments:

Rene said...

Sounds like you packed a lot in. Three days of revising? Ouch! That's hard work. Glad you're back. I like sports stories myself. I started writing one where the heroine was the first GM of a major league baseball team.

Melissa Amateis said...

I think the sports-oriented romances are starting to become big. I've seen quite a few new ones come out.

Glad you were able to get so much done - good for you!!!

Tess said...

Sounds like a busy week - lol about needing a vacation to recover from your vacation. I often used to feel that way too!

Have you tried Confessions of a Shopaholic yet?

Kelly Boyce said...

Not yet. I had it out but ran out of time and had to return it to the library, so I'm on the list to get it back. Hopefully soon!

Anonymous said...

Hope the revisions go well for you!!

Unknown said...

Wasn't "Just Friends" the worst movie ever? And Yeah! on the return of Simon Baker to TV.