Wednesday, May 10, 2006

An Interesting Revelation

I realized something about my brain sludge. It seemed to start at about the same time I stopped reading my last historical romance. How curious. It isn't as though I had stopped reading altogether. In fact I'm currently reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and enjoying it immensely. But I'm beginning to realize there is something about the rhythm and the language of romance novels that seems to free the muse in my brain in a different way. The Historian is due back to the library tomorrow, and I have a couple of historical romances I need to read before their due dates crop up in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps that will clear up what is left of the brain sludge, although today was far more productive than the past few. We'll see. I'm determined to finish this thing by month end.

One great thing about reading The Historian, other than the fact it's a great book, is that it has reawakened my love of paranormal. I started writing young adult paranormal back in my late teens, playing around with it and trying to come up with some solid story ideas. But by eighteen I had discovered historical romance and the paranormal was left a bit in the dust. This book, as well as some dreams I'd had that generated some ideas, has started to stir the pot, create some different avenues of thought that have been left dormant for far too long. Ideas are percolating. We'll see what comes of them.

For now, with The Outlaw Bride needing revisions and a five book series to finish writing, I have more than enough to keep me busy...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's quite stunning when you discover both the things that get your muse running on overdrive, and those that brake it to a screeching halt. Hope your motor starts humming contentedly.

Melissa Amateis said...

Sometimes reading a historical in the time period I'm writing in will help me stay "in the mood" to write that particular era. Other times it's a hindrance because I constantly compare my writing to the author that I'm reading.

Donna Grant said...

I've found that I have a very difficult time reading anything that isn't a romance. And paranormal? Well, I love anything paranormal/fantasy. :D

Rene said...

I have the Historian and it is in my shelf to read. I tried reading it before, but then I had the hankerin to read something where people got nekkid. I do plan to go back to it after I've polished off a few more romances and got myself satisfied.

BTW, I heartily recommend "Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell." I think you would really like it. Beautifully written and fascinating characters.

Anonymous said...

I love the liberation of reading historical romance. It's wonderful. :) And paranormals are great, too!