Friday, August 05, 2005

The Kyoto Experience

While in Reno, I attended the session Undressing Your Heroine put on by Tonda Fuller. During her amazing presentation, she mentioned the Kyoto Museum which had an awesome display of fashions through the ages and also a two volume set of books that were well worth the money. When I got home, I fully intended to try and find said books figuring if they were even half as good as Tonda’s presentation, they’d be well worth the money. I’m a very visual person, so reading books of descriptions and even drawings are good, but a full on color photo of the actual garments were going to work way better for me as far as understanding what they truly looked like.

But of course, when I came home that was one of the things that slipped my mind. Jetlag, you know. For the first few days I was lucky to remember my own name. Anyhoo, yesterday at lunch I escaped the office and drove over to Chapters to see what new August releases were out in the romance department. Yes, yes, I know…do I really need another book? Did I not just drag home a full suitcase load from the conference? What can I say? Chapters is like the mother ship calling me home. I could not ignore the siren call.

So off I went and since I promised myself I would keep it to one book and pay cash only I spent the first half hour trying to decide between three books. I settled on a new author, Joycelyn Kelly I believe her name was, who wrote a medieval where the women in the convent were trained in sword fighting and martial arts. It was such a cool idea I couldn’t resist. And I do so love the heroines that kick some ass. Makes me long to get back to my tae kwon do training. But I digress…

I have my book and I’m on my way to the check-out, slowly sauntering down the middle aisle of the bookstore where they have tables set out through the middle of the aisle with displays. One such display was fashion. Not an area I would normally look at and while I saw the sign I kept on walking. Until something caught my eye. No idea what. But I glanced down and saw this book and a period dress on the cover. What’s this, I thought. I took a step back and looked again. Kyoto Museum?! Get outta here! What were the chances? I was convinced I would have to order it, but no, here it is, sitting right in front of me, practically calling out to me. I leaned closer. Oh yes, it was the two volume set. Specially priced. One…copy…left.

I slid a furtive glance left and then right. No one was nearby to snatch it out of my hands. Apparently they were all clueless to the goldmine I had just stumbled across. I grasped it to my chest and made a mad dash to the cashier counter, my hand out in front of me like a running back with the ball and a clear shot at scoring a touchdown. Some lady with a bunch of kids cut me off. I spun around them and jumped over the shortest one. After that, everyone else cleared the way, no doubt scared off by the maniacal expression seared into my countenance. I made it to the cashier, not bothering to wait for them to call out ‘next!’. I slammed the book on the counter and did my victory dance. The words, “Ha ha! Suckers! It’s mine, alllll mine!” may or may not have flown out of my mouth while I stood there beating on my chest, I can’t be sure. I was too busy frothing at the mouth, imagining the moment when I returned to the office and was able to peel off the cellophane wrapper and see what was inside waiting for me.

I paid my money and bolted from the store, jumped into my car and sped back to the office, making the five minute drive in just under two minutes. I forgot about eating my lunch, didn’t care about the conversations my co-workers threw my way. ‘Can’t talk, got books’, I managed to mutter as I ripped at the wrapper.

The sound of angels rained down from the heavens as I opened the book. Full colour photos. Descriptions. Pages and pages and pages. And men’s fashions too. Oh sweet mother of all that’s holy, I’ve found nirvana!! I clapped gleefully and jumped around in a small circle much to my co-workers horror.

Ah yes, there’s nothing like the intoxicating joy of finding the perfect research book. Sigh…

12 comments:

Melissa Amateis said...

Ooh, now I'm going to have to go find this book!
LOVED your post today - hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, you are so witty! I LOVE your posts. I smiled the entire time I read that. You really know how to put a reader in the scene.
Cathy

Anonymous said...

OMG, I WANT THAT BOOK!

::Michelle shoves Kelly out of the way::

Gimme, gimme! :)

Maxx said...

*slaps forehead and sighs*

this... THIS is why we always split up when we go to Chapters together.

Kelly Boyce said...

What...? Are you saying I'm embarrassing?? Why, I never!

Anonymous said...

Y'know, I'm sure that part of that story has been embellished to show just how excited you were about finding the book...but danged if I can figure out what part. I have no problem whatsoever envisioning you doing exactly what you described.

Kelly Boyce said...

Fine...maybe I didn't exactly leap over the small child so much as I tripped. But it wasn't my fault! The little ankle-biter got between me and my purchase. I can't be held responsible!!

Anonymous said...

I could picture you leaping over a child...many children, in fact...if they got between you and your book. I've seen that look in your eyes when you talk about going to Chapters. Tis a frightening sight, indeed...

Maxx said...

You never?
Never what?... cause quite frankly, I'm having trouble coming up with something here.

Kelly Boyce said...

Hmm good point. I have a list I think. It's a small one, but it's here somewhere. I'll see if I can find it.

Maxx said...

alrighty then. I'll be over here with the Fortrant when you're ready. Can't guarantee there'll be any left when you finally find this so-called 'list' of yours, but by that time I'm sure I won't care either.

ces said...

Hi Kelly,

ces here from ... uh... N.O.? Oh actually, wait maybe it's N.V.? That sounds like it could be Nevada there...

jeez, it's me! From NOVA SCOTIA!!

I don't miss that day job you got goin' on, but girl i sure do miss you!!